Share this Image On Your Site
Baby’s First Birthday On a Budget
Congratulations, you’re little angel is turning one! Planning your baby’s first birthday party is such an exciting time, and it doesn’t have to cost tons of money. Here are plenty of ways to make your little munchkin’s big day super special while sticking to a budget:
- Bake a “Smash Cake” – Babies love getting their hands and face messy in their first birthday cake, so why not let them enjoy the mess. By baking a special “smash cake” for your baby to mash–one of the most popular birthday trends for babies–they’ll have fun and you’ll have some great photo opportunities (just be sure to take the candle out quickly!).
- DIY Decorations – Though a one year old isn’t likely to remember it, photos for the rest of both your lives will record the decorative theme of their very first birthday, so use lots of festive colors and maybe a favorite cartoon character. Get creative with streamers, tissue paper, balloons and other fun and inexpensive materials.
- Invitations – Have fun with your baby’s first birthday invitations and save a bundle on costly paper cards and postage by sending birthday e-cards!
- Baby-Friendly Food – Finger foods work well for babies and grown-ups, but keep in mind that many of the one-year-old guests may not have many teeth, so be sure to provide some soft options and go for a variety of colors and tastes. Plan your baby’s party between meal times if you want to avoid the expense of providing a full meal.
- Home or away – Your house is usually the easiest place for baby’s first birthday, and also where he or she will feel the most secure. But if the weather is warm, you could also head to a neighborhood park for a picnic. Also, many community centers, churches and even schools rent space for cheap.
- Stay Safe – Avoid using any small items that infants might accidently ingest or possibly choke on. And don’t forget to baby-proof the space where the little ones will play.
- Entertainment – Skip spending a fortune on magicians and clowns and invite a talented friend to play a few kid-friendly songs for the little ones or have story time and read aloud to the party guests. Babies love playing with big, soft toys, so set up a safe play area for them to crawl and play.
- Don’t forget the parents – Be sure to provide space for parents to relax, as well as offer a private space for diaper changes and feeding for newborns.
- Party favors – Make the party favors for your baby’s first birthday more memorable by having the little ones create them. Set up a supervised play station with finger paints for the kids to craft their own works of art. Or set up a homemade photo booth for parents to take photos with their babies.